Saturday 4 June 2011

Heads or Tales ?




The games people play. The stories we weave around our mundane humdrum existences. Tales of valour, of romance, of adventure- spinning around the meshes of trapped souls, on a planet rock-solid and oh-so boring! I sometimes wonder, plodding through the familiar paths of another day, if this happens to everyone, or is it just me? The snatches of a once-favourite song, the glimpse of a vision from somewhere in the past, the fragrance of some haunting melody of life, real or imagined..all seem to reach and climb into my soul, like the tentacles of some particularly perseverent creature from outer space..and I am inexorably drawn into another world ! One, that is suddenly magical, exciting, has knights in shining armour, lush green meadows, majestic mountains, shimmering restless seas..the French Riviera, the gaming tables of Las Vegas, the supercilious Sphinxes looking down at the changing world, the busy, dusty lanes of Arabia, the sounds of music amongst the  undulating green hills of Austria, the freezing winds of Alaska...  No visa, no passport, no long-winded travel plans..no packed suitcases..just those moments of escape into another dimension! Where mystery and adventure overtake caution and habit, where James Bond smiles into my eyes (so what, if it turns out to be the local vegetable vendor?), where I join hands with Mata Hari, with Alexander, with Castle, with the MI5, with Julius Caesar..to save the world!!

A few moments into fantasy..my escape route from the set patterns of my existence. Far more refreshing than a glass of chilled nimbu paani, or a can of beer, an evening with friends or a new gadget. Its definitely "Tales" for me! Not "Heads".

What about you?

2 comments:

  1. My life so full so very full.Never need to look back for things I havent done, nothing to look over my shoulders for things I could have done , iv done them all, lived the way life should be lived. LIVE AS IF ITS THE LAST DAY, WORK AS IF ITS THE FIRST.
    Wish this could last for ever, the way it is, the way it should be

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, Ajay:-) My life is full too.. and like you, I would not change anything in my whole life. Its perfect as it is. Escaping into tiny snatches of fantasy worlds has been a habit with me..and now that the children have left home, I find it helps me to keep my feet on the ground..:-))
    Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete